Posted on June 8th, 2011 4 comments
That’s right kids, the big event is happening THIS WEEK…and it’s the 10th anniversary of The Hukilau, too!
PROOF that SoCal doesn’t have the monopoly on the koolest of koolness. The Hukilau in Fort Lauderdale, Florida is the east coast answer to the Tiki revival!
This year promises to be a truly swingin’ event, with more music, art, drinks and fun than ever. Wahini Colleeni and I have booked a room at the Bahia Mar, where much of the action is taking place, so we can have ALL the fun! So if any of you reading this are making it down to Fort Lauderdale this weekend, look for us!
Some of the highlights of this year’s Hukilau include:
• A “Rumposium” by cocktail-slinger extraordinaire Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, held at the world famous Mai-Kai
• The Tiki Treasure Bazaar featuring 40 of the koolest Tiki and Vintage sellers around
• TONS of entertainment including performances by The Intoxicators!, The Tikiyaki Orchestra, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid, Grinder Nova, The Exotics, The Fishermen, DJ’s Lounge Laura Taylor & Drew Farmer, DJ’s Jack Fetterman and Gina of the Jungle and more all emceed by our old pal King Kukulele.
• Appearances/symposiums by Ian Burrell, Martin Cate, Wayne Curtis, Stephen Remsberg, Kevin Kidney & Jody Daily, Dick Dale, Vintage Roadside’s “Beautiful Girls That Live Like Fish!”, Paul Roe’s “Hawaii – Sailors, Sex and the Birth of Old School Tattoos”, Harold Golen Gallery of Miami and more
• The Hukilau Master Mixologist Challenge
• PARTIES PARTIES PARTIES
• And maybe a few surprises…
The Mai-Kai dinner show and some of the symposiums are already sold out, but there’s still plenty of elbow room at the parties. For a complete line up of entertainment and the schedule, visit The Hukilau website.
Aloha kids, see you in Fort Lauderdale!
-Tiki Chris reporting from the beach in front of the Yankee Clipper, Fort Lauderdale
Posted on May 16th, 2011 No comments
If you’re in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, June 11th, and if you like rum, and if you like Tiki drinks, then you’ll have to find yourself a way to swing down to The Hukilau 2011…especially for Beachbum Berry’s Rumposium at the Mai Kai.
What the hell is a Rumposium? Pretty much what it sounds like. Here’s the description from The Hukilau’s website:
“The Bum’s Rumposium — a Hukilau tenth-anniversary exclusive — will be a rollicking ride down the rapids of a river of rum, an exhaustive and literally explosive look at rum in history, rum on the high seas, rum in Tiki drinks, how to pair rum with food, how to pair rums with each other, how to keep zombies away using rum, and how to use rum in Zombies. Don’t miss the cocktails, the tall tales … or the gunpowder test!”
The Rumposium costs only $35. It starts promptly at 2pm, and will segue into the first seating for the Polynesian Show & Dinner at the Mai Kai. Reservations are required for both, so if you haven’t done it yet, get on the ball and get your tickets! Visit The Hukilau’s website at www.thehukilau.com/2011.
Remember, this is the 10th anniversary of The Hukilau, so there are all kinds of fun events, music, performances and kool stuff to buy this year!
-See you there, Tiki Chris P.