Posted on June 8th, 2011 4 comments
That’s right kids, the big event is happening THIS WEEK…and it’s the 10th anniversary of The Hukilau, too!
PROOF that SoCal doesn’t have the monopoly on the koolest of koolness. The Hukilau in Fort Lauderdale, Florida is the east coast answer to the Tiki revival!
This year promises to be a truly swingin’ event, with more music, art, drinks and fun than ever. Wahini Colleeni and I have booked a room at the Bahia Mar, where much of the action is taking place, so we can have ALL the fun! So if any of you reading this are making it down to Fort Lauderdale this weekend, look for us!
Some of the highlights of this year’s Hukilau include:
• A “Rumposium” by cocktail-slinger extraordinaire Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, held at the world famous Mai-Kai
• The Tiki Treasure Bazaar featuring 40 of the koolest Tiki and Vintage sellers around
• TONS of entertainment including performances by The Intoxicators!, The Tikiyaki Orchestra, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid, Grinder Nova, The Exotics, The Fishermen, DJ’s Lounge Laura Taylor & Drew Farmer, DJ’s Jack Fetterman and Gina of the Jungle and more all emceed by our old pal King Kukulele.
• Appearances/symposiums by Ian Burrell, Martin Cate, Wayne Curtis, Stephen Remsberg, Kevin Kidney & Jody Daily, Dick Dale, Vintage Roadside’s “Beautiful Girls That Live Like Fish!”, Paul Roe’s “Hawaii – Sailors, Sex and the Birth of Old School Tattoos”, Harold Golen Gallery of Miami and more
• The Hukilau Master Mixologist Challenge
• PARTIES PARTIES PARTIES
• And maybe a few surprises…
The Mai-Kai dinner show and some of the symposiums are already sold out, but there’s still plenty of elbow room at the parties. For a complete line up of entertainment and the schedule, visit The Hukilau website.
Aloha kids, see you in Fort Lauderdale!
-Tiki Chris reporting from the beach in front of the Yankee Clipper, Fort Lauderdale
Posted on April 18th, 2011 2 comments
Vintage Roadside, the hep cats who bring you lots of fun photos and vintage-style T-shirts from around the country, will present The Story of Aquarama at this year’s Hulilau in Fort Lauderdale, Florida!
From their invitation:
Please join us, along with very special guest Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid, as we present “Beautiful Girls that Live like Fish: The Story of Aquarama” at the 10th Annual Hukilau!
We’ve spent years researching the history of the Aquarama and have created a presentation that includes original home movies, audio narration from the actual shows, promotional photographs, souvenirs from the gift shop, and memories from over 35 former Aquarama performers. We’ve also got a few surprises in store that we can’t wait to share.
Tickets can be purchased at the Hukilau website here:
This is going to be a swingin’ time, and I hope to see a lot of you kats & kittens there!
-Tiki Chris, reporting from the pool.
Posted on January 29th, 2010 No comments
After an extensive remodeling, the Sheraton Yankee Clipper in Fort Lauderdale is open and the Wreck Bar is in full swing! (I haven’t been there yet, but I hear it’s been preserved as original). Well I’ll know for sure tonight, because a bunch of Tiki friends and I will be swinging by tonight to watch the Mermaids swim again!
When Sheraton announced plans to remodel the old Yankee Clipper (and give it the dumb, dull, corporate, generic name “Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel”) everyone thought that would be the end of the historic Wreck Bar. Well, from what I hear someone had enough brains to keep it intact.
The Wreck Bar features windows that look out into the pool, giving patrons a view of the swimmers. Underwater dancing Mermaids have been a popular attraction for years, and our favorite Mermaid, Medusirena, will be headlining the swim tonight.
If you’re in the Fort Lauderdale area come on by and join us for a Mai Tai. Show starts at 6:30!
-Mermaids at the Wreck Bar, Tiki Chris @ Tiki Lounge Talk, the Tiki Blog for hip swingers and Tikiphiles.